Lo and Behold

... the diary of one Chicago guy pointing his car South and traveling to New Orleans to work, gut homes and not mess up the recovery efforts in New Orleans USA April 2006 ...

Name:
Location: shivering

Please check out mark-guarino.com or wordpreserve.com.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Serious

One more day. This one spent on preparing an essential facet of any road trip: the music. For this outing, I went a little nuts.

I will bring with me advances of upcoming records from Pearl Jam, Golden Smog, Springsteen and some others. Plus my iPod which is just about maxed out. But the biggest score is Sirius radio. Yes, I've wanted this for quite some time and thanks to Mike and Mary Ann for including me in their family plan so I can get the cheap rate. Dial through Sirius and you realize why commercial radio chased away its listenership considering that it features the same five awful corporate rock bands and thick-skulled conversative barkers, barking. I enjoy the reasoned voices of NPR but even they get old. Too smug. So now I have and endless pool of music to choose from, the BBC and Howard Stern. It'll make those 14 hours glide by until I reach New Orleans and can shut down the entire system and just listen to local station WWOZ.

Tomorrow I file a story for next week's paper, run some errands and pack.

Oh yes: On the way down I plan on getting off the Interstate after Memphis and visit the Delta town of Clarksdale, Miss., and then continue taking 61 South. I love those towns and explore them every trip down. But on Saturday, Clarksdale will have the added benefit of staging this festival. Blues music, racing pigs and monkeys, oh my.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that there were going to be naked pictures of Paris Hilton on this Blog???? You did mention walking around Paris, but that is just not the same. Actually she's fairly fugly, so thanks for sparing us.
Shannon Powell, the greatest current NOLA jazz drummer, has openned a "restaurant" in his home in the Treme. It looks kind of like a Cuban Paladar. Has a special each weekday night. Closed weekends because he plays. This would certainly be a worthwhile experience, for the personality and the soul food. 1313 St. Phillip which is the side street dwonriver from Armstrong Park, one-way from Claiborne to Rampart, so come in from Claiborne, drive past Craig Elem on the left and it is in the middle of the next block..
If you can't get WWOZ on Serious what is the point?

9:22 AM  
Blogger burningsun said...

Charles (I know this is you): Don't worry, naked photos of Paris Hilton are forthcoming. In fact, she is scheduled to join our work team. Her job will be to pout while handing us crowbars.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check out that restaurant -- in his home no less! I also promise not to burn your house down.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home