Lo and Behold

... the diary of one Chicago guy pointing his car South and traveling to New Orleans to work, gut homes and not mess up the recovery efforts in New Orleans USA April 2006 ...

Name:
Location: shivering

Please check out mark-guarino.com or wordpreserve.com.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sending off

Why am I still up? I wake up (not naturally) in about five hours.
Today on the phone the Habitat volunteer coordinator told me to tell FEMA that I am staying in the tent city because otherwise I will not be fed. My first taste of government beaurocracy! Apparantly FEMA will only feed those volunteers who stay in a tent. (He implied that this was one of many problems they've had dealing with that agency of which they are supplied housing for volunteers) We are staying off site in homes. And it's too complicated to separate the tent volunteers from the home volunteers. So I'll have my very own cot waiting for me. I can't wait. It will be a lonely cot as I will be in a bed come night.
Bad news: I'm getting a cold. I have the lump in my throat already. This isn't good.
I'm listening to The Band right now. Ripping their recent box to my iPod. This isn't necessary. But yet it IS. Or else it will be once I cross the Arkansas state line. True Band afficianados will understand why.
I'm off tomorrow. Anxiety is in the room. Maybe it'll leave when I'm asleep.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just the shadow, anxiety is waiting in New Orleans

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you expect the government to feed you? Your home and livelihood wasn't affected by Katrina. FEMA should focus on major recovery efforts, not feeding volunteers many months after a natural disaster occurs.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are the volunteers expected to do for food otherwise? order room service???

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hundreds of thousands of people have moved back to New Orleans. Grocery stores and restaurants are open and would welcome business from Habitat and other volunteers. Out-of-towners have cars and money; they don't need the government to bring them food.

1:06 PM  
Blogger burningsun said...

Charles -- can't a guy ask for a bottle of water if he's working for free all day? Anyway, just found out we're going to be working "on site" -- no access to any food source. So we will be given sandwiches and water at the start of the day.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home